Marriage Intentions

In order to be married in Massachusetts, you need to file your intentions. The intention can be filed with any Town or City Clerk in the state (it does not need to be filed in the town in which you live or the town in which you are going to be married). The only city or town that will have your marriage certificate in the future is the town in which you file your intentions.

To file your intention, both parties need to come to the Town Clerk's office at the same time. To assure that the Town Clerk will be available, please call the office ahead at 508-822-3348. The cost is $20.00.

There are a number of forms to fill out. Once this is done and the payment is made, you must wait three days before picking up the marriage license.

The license is good for 60 days from the date of filing.

After picking up the license, you will give it to the person performing the marriage who will return it to the clerk's office.